A Personal Encounter That Left An Impression: Why IBO Deserves Another Opportunity to Serve.
By Adekunle Oke (Ajimugege
There is a popular saying that one good term deserves another. In Nigeria's unpredictable political landscape, however, a good performance does not always guarantee an immediate return to office. Political calculations, party dynamics and circumstances beyond an individual's control can sometimes alter the course of a political journey.
Yet, there is something that politics cannot permanently take away from a public servant: the record of what he has achieved and the lives he has touched.
That, in my view, aptly captures the story of Hon. Ibrahim Kunle Olanrewaju, popularly known as IBO, who represented the people of Ekiti North Federal Constituency II (Ido/Osi, Moba and Ilejemeje LGAs) in the House of Representatives during the 9th Assembly.
His journey is a compelling reminder that political setbacks may delay an opportunity, but they do not necessarily erase a record of service.
My first and only personal encounter with Hon. Ibrahim Olanrewaju was not in a political meeting, campaign rally or party gathering. It was during an official assignment in February 2021; after which I further concurred that truly first impression last longer and in most cases may be a letter of recommendation.
On Thursday, 18th February, 2021, at about 8:23 a.m., I was among the team from the Federal Teaching Hospital, Ido-Ekiti (FETHI), assigned to receive a brand-new ambulance donated to the hospital by Hon. Olanrewaju at Otun-Ekiti.
My assignment was straightforward: accompany my then boss, the late Public Relations Officer of the hospital, Mr Francis Bank-Akinnuoye, document the presentation photographically and prepare a news story in form of photonews.
But sometimes, an ordinary professional assignment becomes an opportunity to observe something much deeper. When we arrived at Otun-Ekiti and met Hon. Ibrahim at a hotel, I was immediately struck by his humility, accessibility and manner of relating with people around him.
As someone who has had the privilege of working around politicians and public officials, I have seen different expressions of leadership. Some command attention through their position; others earn respect through their conduct.
Hon. Ibrahim's disposition reminded me strongly of my political leader, Hon. Segun Adekola, PhD, who represented Ekiti South Federal Constituency I and served as Chairman of the House Committee on Youth and Sports Development during the 8th Assembly.
The resemblance, to me, was not necessarily in personality but in the understanding that effective representation requires more than occupying a seat in the National Assembly. It requires strategic thinking, accessibility, relationship-building and, most importantly, a genuine connection with the people, I mean those at the grassroots.
What happened next was beyond my original assignment. It was indeed a scenario of professional curiosity becoming a political journalism. We proceeded to the palace of the Oore of Moba Kingdom, where I witnessed the scale of an empowerment programme organised by Hon. Ibrahim. I was marveled! In Yoruba parlance, "A i rin jina, la o r'abuke okere 😂."
I had gone there simply to photograph the ambulance presentation and prepare a short news report for my organisation. But what I saw triggered the journalist and political communicator in me. There were numerous empowerment items in different categories, sizes, brands and forms, alongside other activities designed to impact beneficiaries across the constituency. In actual fact, "empowerment ju empowerment lo." Nobody in that 9th Assembly did same, during or after.
I was neither Hon. Ibrahim's media aide nor a hired photographer. I had no contractual responsibility to document the programme. But as a journalist and public relations practitioner, I understood the significance of what I was witnessing and what it could be used for in the nearest future.
I began documenting the activities extensively; not because I was instructed to do so by my boss, but because I believed the story deserved to be preserved. From road commissioning to the distribution of empowerment materials and interactions with beneficiaries, I followed the programme and captured as much as I could without being noticed by anybody.
I eventually edited the video, compiled photographs and sent a copy to Hon. Ibrahim through one of his boys I met on Facebook and that was the end. Just as the spirit leads: "Bi emi ba se dari wa lawa se n s'ise 🤣."
Looking back today, I realise that what I documented that day was more than an event. It was a snapshot of a political philosophy: that public office should translate into tangible benefits for the people.
Beyond political promises, the value of impact made should also matter. Political leadership should not be measured merely by the number of speeches delivered, banners printed or rallies attended. Its true measure is found in the lives touched. It is in the entrepreneur who receives support to expand a small business.
It is in the young person who acquires a skill and gains the confidence to become economically independent. It is in the communities that receive infrastructures. It is in the patient who benefits from improved healthcare support, just like the ambulance he donated to FETHI. It is in the family whose burden is reduced because a representative chose to intervene. These are the kinds of outcomes that give meaning to the phrase dividends of democracy.
From my panoramic observations and the activities I witnessed that day and beyond, Hon. Ibrahim's tenure was characterised by an effort to connect representation with tangible interventions. For many beneficiaries, such interventions were not simply political gestures. They represented opportunities, relief and renewed hope. That is why political performance should be evaluated through evidence, impact, accountability and the experiences of the people, rather than through political noise.
However, when the setback came while vying for reelection, no one knew it would later lead to a new beginning as it is today. "Iba re, Olorun Aseda!" Politics can be unpredictable. Despite the performance attributed to his tenure and the support he enjoyed among sections of his constituents, Hon. Ibrahim did not immediately return to the House of Representatives after his first term. Either being denied ticket or party supremacy prevailed over his ambition and interest, it has come and gone.
He could have allowed disappointment to define his political journey. He could have become bitter. He could have abandoned the political structure that had given him an opportunity to serve. Instead, he moved forward. He remains a dedicated party man.
His subsequent appointment as Senior Special Assistant to the President Bola Ahmed Tinubu on National Assembly Matters demonstrated that political relevance is not always determined by whether one occupies an elected position at a particular moment.
Sometimes, service takes a different route. Sometimes, the door that closes today leads to another door tomorrow. And sometimes, a political setback becomes the foundation for a greater opportunity.
The most remarkable lesson in Hon. Ibrahim's political journey is that the work he did in public office did not disappear when the office ended. The record speaks for him till date, as you can see the attached photos and video evidences.
His experiences, relationships, political loyalty and record of service continued to shape his journey. That is why his emergence again as a candidate for the National Assembly is significant. It provides an opportunity for the people of Ekiti North Federal Constituency II to look beyond campaign rhetoric and ask a fundamental question: What did our representative do with the opportunity to serve?That is the question voters should ask of every politician and not how loud the campaign is.
Not how expensive the posters are. Not how many people attend a rally. But: What was achieved? Who benefited? What changed? What legacy was created? In my professional opinion as a journalist and public relations practitioner, those are the metrics that should define political leadership.
Hon. Ibrahim Kunle Olanrewaju's story demonstrates that delay is not necessarily denial. The second opportunity to serve his constituents has come. A political setback did not erase his record. It did not terminate his relevance. It did not prevent his continued contribution to national development. Instead, his journey has continued to evolve.
As he seeks another opportunity to represent the people, his previous record provides a foundation upon which his campaign can be evaluated. For the people of Ido/Osi, Moba and Ilejemeje, the decision ultimately belongs to them. But as they make that decision, I encourage them to look beyond political promises and examine the evidence of previous service.
Look at the record. Look at the interventions. Look at the beneficiaries. Look at the communities. Look at the leadership style. Look at the man beyond the campaign season. Because ultimately, performance is louder than propaganda, and a genuine record of service is one campaign message that time cannot erase; not even a specialist in political propaganda 😂!
Hon. Ibrahim Kunle Olanrewaju, IBO, your political journey has demonstrated one important truth: good deeds may not always receive immediate political reward, but they rarely disappear. The work of yesterday can become the credibility of tomorrow. The people you lifted yesterday can become the witnesses of your service today. The challenges you survived can become the experience you need for greater responsibility tomorrow.
As you continue your political journey, remain accessible, remain humble and remain committed to the people. As little as I know, leadership is not merely about occupying the Green Chamber. It is about giving the people a reason to believe that their representative understands their aspirations and is prepared to work for their progress.
Your story has not ended. Perhaps, this is simply another chapter. May your journey continue to be defined by service, integrity, loyalty and measurable impact. And to the good people of Ido/Osi, Moba and Ilejemeje (Ekiti North Federal Constituency II), when the time comes to make your choice, remember to judge every candidate by the quality of his record, the sincerity of his service and the value he can bring to your communities.
Good leadership deserves recognition. Good performance deserves to be remembered. And a proven record deserves another opportunity to serve.
See you again in the Green Chamber, IBO WITI WITI!!!
By Adekunle Oke (Ajimugege
07033323678
Ido-Ekiti.
24th September, 2026.


No comments:
Post a Comment